I wanted to share one of my favorite mid-summer treats: a delicious, refreshing watermelon lemonade! Impress your friends with this delicious combo of summertime favorites.
Skill level: Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
To make this yummy beverage, you need:
- 5-6 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
- Half of a medium sized watermelon
- Boiling water
- 2 pitchers
- A blender or masher
- Peel the lemons and put peels into a pot.
- Put the whole lemons to the side – the will be used later!
- Pour the granulated sugar on top of the lemon peels to extract the oils.
- Cover and let sit for 30 minutes to an hour.
- In the meantime, chop up the watermelon and either blend it, squish it with a fork, or mash it!
- Remove the seeds and the pulp by pouring through a strainer into the first pitcher and let chill.
- Boil water and pour it over the lemon peels and sugar.
- Cover pot again and let sit with boiling water for 10 minutes.
- While waiting for the peels and sugar to soak, cut and squeeze the remaining whole lemons into the second pitcher.
- Strain the lemon peels and sugar water into the same pitcher as the lemon juice.
- Let both pitchers chill for at 20 minutes or so.
Ready to pour? Take the first pitcher with lemonade and pour over ice. Take the second pitcher full of watermelon juice and pour on top. Garnish with a cute re-usable straw and some basil! This makes a beautiful ombre look – great for pictures!
*STIR BEFORE DRINKING* The lemon juice will be super tart and the watermelon juice cuts it down beautifully.
Comment below if you try this recipe! I’d love to see your creations.
Until next time,